Staying motivated with your workout routine can be extremely hard around the holiday season. There are temptations of parties, cookies, hot chocolate, cold weather and don’t even mention the travel. We make it a point to make fitness part of our daily schedules but when the holidays roll around it becomes so hard to stick to it. So instead of giving up and hibernating to the couch with our bonbons for the rest of winter, we are sharing our tips on how we stay motivated while fighting the elements and with a little one on the way.
With Sarah in Cold DC and Michelle in Sunny LA with a baby on the way, we have had to switch things up a bit to stay on track. And while we have different goals and weather to deal with, we do still have one thing in common and that is our love for lululemon. There is nothing quite like lululemon gear, it fits just right, is high quality and always feels good when we are on the move. So despite the elements, we can enjoy our workouts and the outdoors in our lululemon gear.
- No Excuses: Even if there is snow on the ground and those holiday cookies are calling your name, there is no reason not to get your butt moving! There will always be temptations trying to hold you back from reaching your goals but if you make time for your workouts each day (even if only for 15 mins) it will be much easier to stay on track. Stay committed and stick with your plan, even if you get off track for a few days, be sure to get back to it as soon as possible and don’t let too much time go by because we all know how hard it is to get back to your workout routine after being a couch potato for a few days.
- Get Creative (Even When Traveling): Even if you are away from your Crossfit gym, Barre Studio, Kickboxing Gym or wherever you may workout, you can still get a great workout without the equipment that you have come accustom to. Try layering up and getting outside for some fresh air, a challenging run and some body weight excercises that you can do anywhere. A little googling can get you a long way these days, so be sure to do a little research and come up with a plan to keep your workouts fun and interesting while you are on the road visiting family over the holidays.
- Stretch and Mobilize: Instead of completely vegging out while watching those Christmas movies with the fam, try incorporating some stretching and mobilizing in there. If you don’t have a handy foam roller to work with, try packing a lacrosse ball and move it around all those areas you are feeling sore or need a little extra love. Mobilizing and stretching is also wonderful for cramped up limbs after long travel days, so don’t be scared to stretch out as soon as you get out of the car or off the plane.
- Challenge Yourself: Just because you don’t have your trainer with you to motivate you while you are out of town, doesn’t mean you should slack off. You can always pop into another gym on the road or get outside and make the most of the elements you are in. Go for a challenging run, do some sprint work, or take some of the things that you have learned from your gym and come up with your own workout.
- BYOE (Bring Your Own Equipment): Not going to make it to a gym, pack a few essentials that will help you stay in gear while you are away. I love packing my jump rope because it takes up no room in my bag but will give me a great cardio workout when I am in dire need. I also love the slingshot hip circle bands because you can get a great glute and hamstring burn
When expecting it’s so important to keep moving. Those who exercise experience less back pain and of course have a faster return to your pre-pregnancy body. Let’s face it, I have no clue what I’m getting into when the baby is here so prepping my body for after delivery is definitely at the top of my list. From experience and mainly web research I’ve rounded up 5 very important tips for any expecting mom to keep in mind while working out.
- Don’t Push Yourself: Normally we would say to push yourself to the limits, but in this scenario it’s best not to. Staying active is so important but so is your baby. Even a 15-minute walk counts and keeping your work out frequent (at least 3x a week) rather than every once and a while. The most important thing to remember is that you are breathing normally. Never push yourself to exhaustion and pay attention to what your body and baby is telling you!
- Stay Hydrated: This goes with out saying but when you are pregnant you MUST drink tons of water. Before I work out I always ensure I have a few glasses before and of course a bottle for during and after.
- Do Your Research: Always check with your doctor before starting any work out program as we all go through different pregnancies. Do your research on what is safe to practice and what is not. My form of work is running but before I was pregnant I was running at least 4-5 days out of the week so the transition was easy. For those who didn’t it’s probably not preferred. Here is a great site with some easy but effective work outs.
- Work Out Early: If your pregnancy is anything like mine than you are probably exhausted quite often. I loose energy by the end of the day with a full time job where I’m on my feet all day. So knocking out my work out first thing in the morning helps wake me up and give me the energy to make it through the end of the work day. Then I’m in bed by 9pm feeling very accomplished!
- Make Sure You Are Eating Enough: Everyone has heard the saying that you are eating for two. Well, not necessarily, however you should be eating an extra 300 calories a day than normal. Make sure you are not burning too many calories off while working out because your body needs that!
Wearing head to toe lululemon. I sized up just one size in every piece for a little more wiggle room to grow. The Wunder Under high rise leggings have been a game changer for me and I kid you not they are the only leggings I want to wear. These leggings were designed to fit like a second skin so they are extremely stretchy and so comfortable. I definitely recommend going for a high waist as well if you are expecting so that it can lay comfortably over the belly rather than cutting it off. Shop my look and other options perfect for any expecting mother looking to get active outdoors and enjoy the season in warmth and comfort.
Sarah and Michelle