Lately I have been on a total Moscow Mule kick. The steamy weather rolls in and immediately I am reaching for anything cold and refreshing and for some reason the Moscow Mule always does the trick to cool me down. While I love the taste of the traditional mule, I have been testing out different spins on this tried and true cocktail. After some late night recipe testing (poor me, I know), I came up with probably the best thing that has ever been created in my kitchen. Please let me introduce you to my proud new creation, the Watermelon Mule. Not only is this cocktail refreshing and delicious, I have found that the presentation is also a huge crowd pleaser! Serve up this yummy cocktail in a mini watermelon cup and people will mistake you for a younger much hipper Martha Stuart. I like to make them Crabbie’s Alcoholic Ginger Beer to give it a boozier ginger kick. Best part is the fun doesn’t end there. Make a little extra and pour the liquid into popsicle molds to make boozy ice pops. Genius, I know.
COCKTAIL INGREDIENTS – Serves 2 (double if you are making ice pops too)
- 2 mini watermelons – yield 4 shots of watermelon juice
- 2 shots vodka
- 4 springs of mint
- 1 sm. lime, juiced
- 1 bottle of Crabbie’s Alcoholic Ginger Beer
- To make watermelon juice:
- Cut your mini watermelons in half and clean them out with a large spoon. Scrape edges and save all watermelon chunks. Take your knife and gently slice off a small bit of the bottom of the watermelon so that it will sit flat on the counter.
- Add watermelon chunks and mint to your blender. Blend well until watermelon is pureed. Strain over strainer into container if you do not like pulp. Save juice and discard pulp.
- To make a Watermelon Moscow Mule:
- Combine watermelon juice, lime juice and vodka into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and strain into your watermelon cup. Then top with Crabbie’s Ginger Beer and give it a gentle stir with your straw.
- Garnish with a slice of watermelon lime.
- Bottoms up!
BOOZY POP INGREDIENTS – Serves 8
- Pour the watermelon mule cocktail into ice pop molds and stick them in the freezer for 3-4 hours.
- Take them out and enjoy!
Sip & Enjoy!