Halloween is just around the corner, which means it’s time to get together the perfect line up of costumes. You know this holiday has a tendency to last more than one day, so you’ve got to have a few ideas in your back pocket. Not to worry, we did the hard part for you! We’ve come up with 5 creative costume ideas for best friends, couples, friend groups, and the individual. Plus, we’ve picked some must-go-to events in DC and LA so you actually have a place to wear your perfect look! What to wear and where to party, we got you covered this Halloween …
5 costume ideas:
- Best Friends: Beyonce and Nicki Minaj in the “Feeling Myself” music video: This iconic music video is easy to emulate and totally on-point when it comes to pop culture. For both costumes, get black knee-high socks with white stripes around the top and black combat boots. For Beyonce, wear a black and white jersey t-shirt dress. For Nicki Minaj, wear a black leotard and white fur coat. Be eating a hamburger at all times. http://urbanislandz.com/2015/05/19/nicki-minaj-beyonce-fleek-feeling-myself-video-tidal/
- Couple: Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele from “Fifty Shades of Grey”: For Anastasia Steele, pair light skinny jeans and a white t-shirt with black ankle booties, an olive army-inspired jacket, and a blue polka dot scarf. For Christian Grey, just wear your most-perfectly tailored suit. Handcuffs optional.
- Friend Group: “Saved by the Bell” cast: Think acid-washed jeans and windbreakers in funky geometric patterns. High ponytails for the girls and slick-backs for the guys. Large cell phones encouraged!
- Easy DIY: the red dress dancer girl emoji: Throw on a red dress and some black heels and you’re ready to go!
- Cleopatra (Claire Ashley tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Spcgy1PVM): Cinch a white maxi dress at the waist with a thick gold belt and wear tan or gold gladiator sandals. Add a gold headband across your forehead and gold and turquoise bracelets around your upper-arms and wrists. Complete with amazing make-up!
Things to do in DC:
- Nightmare on M Street: 5 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Bar crawl including: Mackey’s, Madhatter, Rumors, The Front Page, Black Rooster Pub, Elephant and Castle, McFadden’s, Irish Whiskey Public House, Sign of the Whale, Public Bar, BlackFinn, The Bottom Line, The Exchange, Bread & Brew, Mighty Pint, Buffalo Billiards, Fiesta Lounge, James Hoban’s, Café Citron, Lindy’s Red Lion, Maddy’s, Midtown Party Plex, One Lounge, Crossroads, Fox and Hound, G Street Food, Pizza No. 17, The Gryphon, and Panache.
- Newmyer Flyer Presents: Halloween Howl: The Hamilton, 600 14th Street, NW Washington, DC.
- A graveyard smash with live performances of classic Halloween songs. Come for the concert and stay for the dancing!
- Boo Cruise! on the Spirit of Washington: Departing from Gangplank Marina. Boarding begins at 9:00 p.m., and the cruise will last from 9:30 p.m. to 12:05 a.m.
- Guests 21 and over enjoy passed hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar all night long. Halloween costumes are encouraged and the best costume will win 4 free tickets on the Spirit of Washington during the costume contest by the end of the night.
Things to do in LA:
- West Hollywood Halloween Night Costume Carnaval:
- A Halloween costume party that is held on public streets in West Hollywood. Events include music stages and a parade. In 2010 this event established a world record when over 8000 people danced to the Time Warp from Rocky Horror Picture Show. This is one of the biggest Halloween events in L.A. with hundreds of thousands of people in attendance.
- 5th Annual Spirit of Old Hollywood Gala: October 25
- Join the Hollywood Arts Council and the residents that left their keys, but not their suites for the 5th Annual Spirit of Old Hollywood Gala. Ghost tours will be led throughout the evening by international celebrity psychic medium Patti Negri. Don’t miss this evening of hors d’oeuvres, live music from the Hollywood Rhythm Kings, palm and card readings, and ghostly tours. The event also features a silent auction with numerous baskets and items, as well as prizes for prizes for the best Film Noir or Old Hollywood glamour attire.
- Halloween Black and White Ball:
- Following the screening of Dracula presented by the L.A. Opera at Ace Hotel, there will be a raucous, costumed dance party hosted by local outfit The Black Tux. Starting at 10 pm, the event features special guest DJs, sensory-stimulating themed rooms, four bars, and more! Let’s face it—an eerie 1920’s style movie palace and dance party in an old Hollywood style lobby is a pretty epic backdrop to your Halloween shenanigans.
Hope everyone has a safe and happy halloween!
Sarah and Michelle